Friday, September 3, 2010

The Wager

Something in my borderline OCD/anal-retentive nature craves the metaphysical presence of a compass, a litmus test, a standard by which I can weigh and measure my potential decisions. In part, I blame my debate training. I learned early on about Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA). What will this decision/action/belief cost? What will the benefits be?

In all, I find this to be a highly pragmatic approach. However, in spiritual matters, this method doesn't yield the clearest of results. For years, I was fascinated by a philosophical argument posed by the great mathematician, Blaise Pascal. Not only did the man revolutionize mathematics, he posed many theories in philosophy that we study to this day. As with all philosophy, scholars have argued back and forth over Pascal's ideas. I have no intention of delving into all of that.

Pascal's wager is basically this: If I live my life by the tenets of Christianity, and when I die, I discover that there is in fact, no God, no Christ, no afterlife, what have I lost? I have lived well, a life with purpose, leaving a legacy of kindness, generosity, and benevolence. If I die, and find that all I have believed to be true, I have gained eternal paradise.

While this theorem is often used to justify belief in Christianity, I use it to examine my beliefs as a Christian. All of this is based on the premise that God exists, and He is benevolent. Again, Pascal drew this conclusion with his immortal statement cogito ergo sum (I think, therefore I am). From there, I extrapolate his wager.

If I hold a particular belief, and act accordingly, my entire life, when I die and stand before the Father, if I am correct in that belief, I have gained His approval. If my belief proved false, how would the Father react? What would be the consequences, in life and in the hereafter, for that belief?

Let me put this in more specific terms. The hot issue at the moment appears to be Christianity and its views on homosexuality. The Evangelicals believe its a sin, and a damnable one at that. The progressives embrace it as love, and welcome homosexuals into their midst warmly. Who is right?

Apply the wager.

If I believe homosexuality to be a damnable sin, and live my life accordingly, my life will look like the status quo in most of Christendom. Homosexuals are shunned, unless they renounce their sexuality as immoral. They are to be "cured" by whatever means necessary. They may not hold any position of leadership in a church. At worst, they are reviled with signs and slogans proclaiming God's hatred toward "fags." What happens when I stand before the Father and this view is the truth? I won't get into the potential consequences of God's view on how we treat each other. Clearly, these arguments have zero impact on the bulk of Christians. So, you are dead, your belief was true.

And what if you are wrong?

You have acted as a bigot. You have been a living roadblock to millions, preventing them from finding the love and grace of God through Christ. Hands, hearts, minds, extraordinary talent and skill alienated from the body of Christ by your belief. You now must stand in front of the Father, and account for souls lost, people damaged, lives harmed. What will He say? How will your belief make Him feel? What price must you pay? What must you live with, for all of eternity?

Now reverse it all. You believe that God's love and grace extend to homosexuals just as they are. If you are wrong? Are there situations in which God can condemn us for loving too much? If you are right, you acted as Christ.

Here, the CBA is of great value.

What is the cost? What is the benefit?

For me, there is only one answer.

Our beliefs have a price. For me, I cannot pay that price unless I know it to be for good, for benefit, and not for harm. If I am wrong, let the price be my own, not paid by others. This is my compass, my North Star. I can effectively weigh my actions and beliefs. Do I refuse to give to those in need because they may squander my generosity? In the end, how would God view my action, or in this case, lack thereof?

I find that no mater how I apply this metric, it invariably leads me to decisions in line with the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. I don't always succeed in applying it. Sometimes I react in old habits and ways that bring no honor to Christ. But I try. Isn't that essence of our faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment